So this book continues pretty much right after Blue Lily, Lily Blue. Its the home stretch people! Piper Greenmantle has awoken a demon and for now it seems to be following her orders but it is an “undower” which means that it slowly starts to kill Cabeswater and all things created by it. Gansey is forced to make a difficult decision, Ronan and Adam learn about what they really want and Blue discovers a piece of herself.
Maggie’s way of writing is very unique. She always leaves me questioning things and it always feels eerie, but I love that about her. The characters and the world is fantastic.
[SPOILERS] okay so let’s get down to it. I flew through the first half of this book really quickly because I was hyped up for it and I needed to know what was going to happen. When I got to the half way point I began to wonder how things were going to go down and it wasn’t until the end that I realized there are so many strings left untied.
Things I liked :
1. I appreciated Adam’s character a lot more in this book because he is sure of who he is and what he wants. I always liked Blue and Gansey so that didn’t change. Ronan was also very interesting because of his character development. I love the line in chapter 6 when he makes jokes about Blue getting suspended. I would love to read more about Ronan and Blue because I feel like he’s the one she interacts with the least but their chemistry is the most interesting.
2. THE SHIP. I knew that Ronan and Adam were endgame since (almost) the beginning! I’m so happy that they confessed to each other. Oh and obviously Gansey and Blue, they were obvious though.
3. Laumonier. Oh my goodness! I laughed so hard when I read chapter 10. How Maggie wrote that was brilliant; it makes me wonder if she was under the influence 😅
Things I didn’t like:
The ending. I knew that Glendower was going to be dead. I was hoping that he wouldn’t be but it was too good to be true. From that point on the book fell flat. I was so ready to give it 5 stars but then I was left with so many questions:
1. Does Laumonier 2+3 get revenge on The Gray Man for killing Laumonier 1 ?
2. Does The Gray Man return to Maura ? Does he start working with Henry’s mom?
3. What happened with Matthew? He didn’t actually die right ?
4. Does Blue’s father just stay in his tree from now on ? Does he even live with them anymore ?
5. Does Blue’s kiss continue to provide death to Gansey ?
6. Where did the demon go ? It took 4 books to wake him up and a 5 minute fight to defeat him ?
7. Now that Cabeswater gave up himself to bring Gansey back to life and he has pieces of Cabeswater in him, does that mean Adam is the hands and eyes of some part of Gansey ?
8. Where did Gwenlilian go ?
9. What exactly happened with Noah ? Was he trying to tell us that he’s the one that whispered those things to Gansey when he died the first time ? Or was that just him passing on finally? And how come the gang didn’t get to say goodbye to him ? That’s not fair.
Lastly, I don’t understand Henry Cheng’s character. I understand that his mother is a magical artifact seller/buyer and that the Robobee is important but I don’t understand the importance of him as a character that joins the group at the last minute and becomes so attached to the main characters. I don’t feel the necessity of him joining the picture.
These unanswered questions do not mean that I do not like the book! I want to know the answers so badly that I can’t ignore the fact that I care that much, which means that I really like the book. I just wished there was a little more. [SPOILERS]
So overall, I really enjoyed this book. I love Maggie Stiefvater’s writing style, the plot is totally unique and the characters are well developed. I wish the ending could have been more dramatic and climactic but I definitely recommend this series to anyone who wants something different.
4 / 5 stars